Wednesday, July 7, 2010

And her name is Veronica

veronica rose

Click the picture and you'll see more from our 18 week ultrasound today. Girl parts were present. Her name is Veronica Rose and the doctor says she is "anatomically perfect." Well, obviously, I mean, look at us.

As usual, the rest of our doctor appointment was boring. For those of you following along with all the details, here's the run-down:

  1. Weighed in at 136# today. That means that I have gained 8 pounds in two weeks - and all of this since my severe recession back to first trimester symptoms. It's very good that I am gaining weight. Doctor reminds me that I have only gained 11 pounds total since I learned I was pregnant, and I'm at 18 weeks today (not quite half way, but nearly half way). She says that when you don't gain weight in your first trimester, then your fourth month can be about catching up and that "one pound a week" measure will kick back in around month five and six. Ok. I *have* been eating well, so I kind of believe her, but I'm also starving every three hours, so, there's me wondering if I'm also adding something squishy around the edges. If I continue to gain four pounds a week per week for the next two weeks, well, I'd rather not think about what that means for the outfits I will no longer be able to wear. And I was getting so comfortable.
  2. Pain. I have lots of random pains. Some of these are similar to how I've heard others describe sciatica - severe shooting pain that shoots down my lower back to my leg and makes it hard to walk or get in/out of bed. (This hasn't been an issue since I spent several nights in a hotel, and then got a new mattress topper - our mattress is evil.) Others are from "ligaments stretching" around the base of my very round and quite "hard" belly. This impacts my ability to sleep comfortably on my side, but doctor says I can safely enjoy a great nights sleep on my back for at least another two-three weeks. Party time.
  3. Stretchy skin. I can literally feel the skin in my breasts and torso stretching (along with those ligaments). This means that it's itchy *all the time*. Doctor recommends oatmeal baths and if it's really bad, benadryl (which I'd rather avoid, but good to know if I have to).
  4. Take your vitamins. (Ok fine, I'll try it.) And in two weeks try to get off the Zofran again. (I'll think about it, but yes I will take a refill please, thank you.)
  5. We don't have to start taking classes or planning births until the third trimester, though I may want to get us enrolled in a class soon, just so that we have our pick of scheduling. Again, that means that second trimester = party time.
  6. All that sequential screening stuff? Everything *looks* perfectly normal, not to mention "anatomically perfect".
The sun is indeed out in Seattle, I have clothes that fit me, I'm all around feeling better (though this is balanced with getting bigger faster), and so I am going to take the plunge here and say that my predictions about July have come true. Today I couldn't swipe the smile off my face. We were so excited to learn that we are having a girl. Aaron showed the pictures to the barista, he was so excited. We took ourselves out to dinner and talked about what our life will be like with a little girl there with us. And so it begins...

4 comments:

  1. Yay for girl parts! I knew it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray for girl parts, indeed! I'm so glad to hear you're feeling better, too. As for the itchy, stretchy skin: Mustela's Stretch Mark Double Action cream is a life saver. It soothes all the itchies and I managed to survive two pregnancies with 40+ pound weight gains with minimal stretch marks. It's expensive, but it works, yo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome. I've been standing in the stretch mark cream/lotion aisle and wondering if any of them work. I will try your magic cream!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yippee!!! GIRL!!!

    I was at that point in my pregnancy during the WINTER in VERMONT, so I remember well the horrible itching. I'd highly recommend Burt's Bees Thoroughly Therapeutic Honey & Shea Butter Body Butter. Not specifically designed for a growing tummy (I think they have Mama Bee creams too for pregnant women), but was very soothing for me at least. I didn't use any stretch mark creams and didn't end up with any stretch marks, so I'm fairly convinced a lot of that is luck of the draw.

    I didn't gain much weight early in my pregnancy, but gained a lot more after 20 weeks and very unevenly (a lot one week, nothing the next). There's a huge range of normal and if I were able to go back in time, weight is one thing I'd worry about less and just go with what my tummy tells me to do. And, yes, maternity jeans... are they not awesome??? I miss wearing skinny jeans and going out for a big meal and still being comfortable!

    I had a lot of pains too -- what helped me when I had to sit at a desk for a long time was the Brookstone NapForm Lumbar Support Cushion and (towards the end of my pregnancy) the NapForm seat. Once you start sleeping on your side, pillows can be a great help, especially between your legs (I had a wedge one for that). The big maternity pillows are often TOO big. I never used the one I ordered.

    I hope the nausea abates soon and you can get off the Zofran. I took that while pregnant and it was a godsend, but it's certainly better not to be nauseous at all.

    My only other piece of advice is to be nice to yourself, get a lot of rest, and don't push yourself too much physically. The pain I had in the lower belly ligaments got much, much worse after I did a MAJOR housecleaning and I paid for it for the next 3 months of my pregnancy. Be a queen for the next 22 weeks... you deserve it!

    ReplyDelete