Monday, January 17, 2011

there's the plan and then there's the birth - part III

V


UPDATE: Aaron's collection of images of these first few moments with her in the OR are really amazing and they are posted on his lifestring photos on flickr.

The decision to do the c-section was quick, but prepping me for the c-section was extremely hectic. A bunch of new people descended on the room and introduced themselves while they started getting me ready for the surgery. The only thing that really bothered me was that someone messed with my IV placement and it started burning. My doula asked to come into the OR, and they told her that only Aaron would be allowed in there. I understand why she wanted to be there, but I didn't really care one way or the other.

The operating room was just a few doors down from my delivery room, it was bright and slightly cold, but not uncomfortable. The anesthesiologist, whose name was Hans, was incredible. He gave me some local for the damage that one lady had done to my IV site, and went about making sure that I was ready for surgery. To his credit, the drugs took effect immediately, but I was alert and awake the through the entire delivery, recovery, and until I fell asleep later that night.

Aaron was standing next to me with his camera, all the doctors and nurses, with the exception of Hans, were behind the curtain drawn to keep me from seeing my own surgery. Aaron stood up a few times to look on and I remember telling him that if he fainted I was going to kick his ass. Next thing I remember is everyone in the room gasping with "look at all that hair!!" comments, Aaron's snapping pictures, and then I heard her cry. The time was 6.33 PM and I knew that she was OK by the sound of her cry. It was so strong and loud and bright and didn't sound anything like a little girl with poop in her lungs. Poop in her hair? Maybe.

Still, they took her over to the station for all her procedures designed to ensure she's ok. Her APGAR is 9/9, she's 8 pounds 3.6 ounces, 20 inches long, and her head is 14cm around.

They hand her to Aaron. He brings her to me. Now we are parents.

2 comments:

  1. Holy cow. This has me completely teared up like I'm in the room at that moment. -Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  2. really?? that's nice to hear!

    i just had to get it out of my head and onto the page. i'm still formulating the "what it all means" post. this was just to get down the facts of what took place...so i don't forget em. hard to imagine forgetting any of that, but they say it happens once they start smiling at you and stuff. :)

    ReplyDelete